Thursday, June 17, 2010

How hot is too hot?

June 22, 2010, Blogger Update
Yesterday was the first official day of summer and today we can finally tell it is here. A few months ago I asked Mark when he thought we would have to run the AC full time. I can't remember what he said, but when I said I didn't think we would have to until I was out of school he thought there was no way of that happening.

Well the end of the school year has come and gone and we've still been surviving without using the AC very much. (Definition of very much in that sentence: less than 3 hours a week). I too am surprised! Judging from the picture above, we probably should have used it that day too :). (Actually that isn't the hottest it got in the house, that is just the hottest I captured on camera. One day it was 83, but that was with the AC on!)

Our heating bill in the winter topped out at about $357 one month and then dropped to $68 during a month required no heat or AC. We'll see what happens this summer. (I know you don't think I should post about money things, but hey, I waited until most of you had already seen this post anyways and looking back on it in years to come it will be interesting to see how things changed.)

It may be time to get some new curtains for our living room to keep the afternoon sun from roasting us to death. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I just have to laugh. 80 is what we keep our house at in the summer when it is over 100 outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny- Chris complains when I let it get to 79! I should let him come visit. I can't stand the AC on! It makes it feel so cold to me when the AC is blasting. I could love just fine at your house I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm - I'm thinking that it's a good thing you have a swimming pool out your back door. That's way past human melting point! :)

    ReplyDelete