Monday, September 5, 2011

When you get a clam. . .

. . . make clam chowder!

When our plans to go to the San Juan islands and do a zipline fell through at the last minute we headed for the coast. We hadn't been there since before we were engaged so we had to laugh at how different this trip was from what we remember that one being like.  Our last trip was actually going to a singles conference. 

This trip:
for cheese, of course, and icecream-
blueberry cheesecake icecream, I'm still thinking of you. . .

the most expensive hotel we have ever stayed in (or ever hope to stay in).  I guess that's what happens when you chance getting a room on Labor Day weekend.  Even the rape motels were full! 

And clam digging! 
We had never done it, but when we went to the beach everyone else was doing it, so we thought, why not. 
At first we just started picking up the clams the seagulls hadn't gotten to yet.  That resulted in 5-10 clams.

Then we realize we could just reach around in the holes others had dug and we usually got 3-4 per hole.

Then we dug our own holes with our hands and found our own clams about 8-10 inches down.  When we decided to count we had 100 clams in such a short time!  We actually had to throw back 28 clams so we didn't go over our limit. 

We had so much fun and cannot wait to do it again!

Well, I couldn't wait to do it again until I ate them.  I love seafood of all types.  I even like clams, but there is just something about having your food alive one minute and literally 3 minutes later be dead and eating it.  I tried one, but couldn't get the second down.  I think I like my food really cooked and really dead.  Mark, on the other hand, ate quite a few.  He cannot wait to do it again so he can "get it right".  I think that means cooking them longer so they are not so 'squishy'.  We are making chowder tomorrow night-wanna come try it?  (I'd appreciate it if you joined us for dinner, I'm afraid I might not be able to eat it and if you came there would be less for me :)). 


1 comment:

  1. Brett and I have always wondered how to clam...who knew it was so easy?!? Looks like a fun time. Heard you got into the play, wish we could've seen! I bet it was really great.

    ReplyDelete